Friday, May 30, 2008

I've obtained my Freedom!! My NS Story?

In the words others have used before me... キタアアアアアア!!!! IT'S FINALLY OVER!!!!! ORD LOR!!! 2 YEARS IS GONE!! Time to hit the books again!!
Warning: Long wall of text to come.

It's a celebration!!! At least for me ^^.

*composes self*
It has been a long 2 years since I enlisted into NS on 2th June 2006, and went to Tekong BMTC Sch 1, K Company "Kestrel". BMT was quite a fun experience, since I had never gone through such training before (shooting rifles, throwing grenade etc), but it's definitely something to just experience once and no more, I can't handle that kind of lifestyle on long term lol.
If only grenades came like this... would be alot more fun ^^.

When I first enlisted, I had wanted to aim for OCS (Officer Cadet School), since they earn the most allowance during NS. I was definitely one of the better recruits in my platoon, and was surely on course to be an officer (if I passed my IPPT that is). However, a certain incident would get me out of action for 3 weeks, and eventually I failed my IPPT and there goes my OCS/money dream. So... what kind of incident would leave one out of most training for 3 weeks?

I'm not sure if any of the bloggers noticed it during the two/three outings we had, but I do get lots of others who asked about this certain injury on my hand. There's a 5.5cm scar on my right hand index finger. How did I get it? I punched a window (it's about a 1cm thick safety glass window, or at least I think it was). -.-" For those who were in the same batch (BMTC June 06'), and maybe the batch after (Sep 06') should have heard about some idiot who punched and broke a window... and that idiot is me.
I admit! It was me! I broke the window!

Why do such a thing?? Here's a quick (and broken English) summary, a proper one would be way too long. Starts: It's finally the weekend!! Late Saturday afternoon book out (4pm). However there's some who were to report for guard duty that same day, thus they booked out earlier (12pm). I eventually booked out at 4pm, reach home about 5.15pm, take clothes throw into washing machine, turn on the computer and relax. 5.45pm a phone call came, picked it up, turn out to be the duty sergeant. Fellow platoon mate who was supposed to do guard duty had reported sick and gotten a MC, and I get called back to replace. I'm damn pissed. 10pm report back to Tekong, with soaking wet clothes in bag, do Sunday guard duty, but it was quite fun anyway with good companions.

Guy report back on Monday, saw me, give smug look, doesn't even say sorry. I'm burning with rage. However, I get all kinds of comforting by fellow friends, eventually approached and asked our PC (Platoon Commander) to settle the issue, I then calmed down. Tuesday I was back to normal for most of the day, but came evening I felt the sense of loss (like I'm some loser or something), since nothing was being done to rectify the issue, useless PC.
My mind blew up.

Here comes the breaking point. Night time, I just came out of toilet after a bath, walking back to bunk. The guy came out of his bunk, ran towards the toilet, bangs me, turn around give smug look again and ran off. I snapped, my mind went blank. Walked into my bunk, needing to clear the rage in me and get some fresh air, I punched one of the back window "open". Well, it didn't open, but instead broke, leaving a hole in it, and a nice big open slit wound on my finger, and bleeding like mad, bone was also totally exposed.

People panicked, rushed me down to Medical Centre, MO (Medical Officer) dare not do the stitching, was fastcraft-ed off Tekong and brought to Changi Hospital. Final result, 18 stitches (it's a line + a circle, since the skin at the joint part was hanging off a singular point of about 2mm wide). 2 Days MC. 3 weeks excuse upper limbs exercise. Since it was near the end of BMT (Last 5 weeks or so), I eventually failed my IPPT. I even tried my best by forcing myself to take the test even when my injury wasn't fully healed (was also still in bandage), but could only muster 2 pull-ups (not that I could pull any before LOL). There goes OCS. End of summary. For photos post-stitched, click this and this. Warning: photos might be abit gruesome for some, see at own risk. Too bad no photos before the stitching, would be cool to show off the bone and flesh under the skin.
Miku snapped!! Run for your lives!!

Some issues which I was really totally pissed off: 1. That guy may be in the same platoon, but was no friend of mine, nor was he in the same section. 2. I did some investigation on my own, seemed that his entire section seemingly decided to be "uncontactable", assuming they all turned off their handphones, which means they all knew before hand. 3. I was not one of the stand-by personnel for the guard duty, so why the hell did the duty sergeant call me? 4. I was already pissed off with his section's people attitude, including him, worthless lifeforms (not all though). 5. Maybe all I want was a simple form of gratitude, a simple thanks, but none were given, and was even insulted (smug look by him, and his circle of "friends").

It's a good thing I wasn't charged, nor did I pay the repair for the window, but wasn't too happy with the fact that the guy just got away with another guard duty, that's it. I swear he should be charged with malingering or something. I don't believe that an active young man can get a high-fever in a time span of 4 hours. He was still smiling, running, chatting, going on with everyday business in the morning. Aaaaahhhh I'm getting pissed again typing all these. That's about it for the BMT section. Don't worry the rest will be shorter... I think.
Nyan~ I'm the victim here okay? ^^

Out of BMT, was posted off to be an Air Force Technician. 6 weeks at AFS (Air Force School), then off to SBAB (Sembawang Air Base) for the remainder of the 2 years under ALS (Air Logistic Squadron) as a RT (Rotor Transmission) Tech on the Super Puma AS332M/M1. I was also involved with NDP 07' under Flag Party (we also did SAF Day 07'), which was a relativity fun experience (if not for a lousy backstabbing Officer. Tell us to give feedback will not take to heart, but in the end not happy then backstab us with all kinds of extra). What we did in Flag Party was to prepare and deploy the giant National Flag under the CH-47 Chinook for the parade.

Talk about being kiasu, the public only sees one flag for the 20sec fly-by, but we have another 2 more being deployed on other Chinooks at the same time flying else where, and another 11 more flags deployed on ground in case of anything else. That's a total of 14 flags just for the actual day (slightly less for rehearsals, around 8-12 range), that costs about S$40,000 each. Guess that's where our taxpayer money is being put to, since we scrap a few flags each year and buy more brand new ones (about 4-5 each time).

I hereby propose that Singapore incorporate Dai Gurren Dan's emblem into our flag too! That will justicify its cost!

Once NDP was over, and Flag Party disbanded, it was back to the everyday servicing of aircrafts, and this would last until my ORD, or at least I did thought so. Some pilot decided to give me a farewell present of a crash during my 2nd last week, where we had to work like mad to investigate and get the rest of the aircrafts back to "working" status. Either way, it's finally over... Actual ORD date is 1st June 2008, but since it's a Sunday, I would be given back my freedom on Friday 30th May 08' instead, which is TODAY!!! So there you have it, more or less my NS experience of 2 years.

I believe that has been quite a long read, so I don't think I'll bore everyone with more information. It's finally Friday... so go out and enjoy the weekend!!! Once again... ORD LOR!! Signing out.
More celebrating!! FREEDOM!!

P.S: Seems like the Miku Stage ~ Pet Project isn't going to well, a round shape is hard to do with the tools I currently have. I either need to rethink the design, or get some workshop machines lol. Will use something else tomorrow I guess...
And also... I suspect my baby niece Mikaela is an Otaku/Fujoushi-in-training. She seems to love my room more than the rest (she gets very excited when in it, then once bring to another room she starts to cry) >.< and is also eyeing my figures/pillows/cushion. Help?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ord ord.

now go learn how to dance.

Anonymous said...

Well, what can I say, CONGRATS!!!

Fariz Asuka said...

Well, at least you've completed it.. Mine gonna start next year.. -_-"

gordon said...

thanks for sharing your story. it was a interesting read. i enjoyed my BMT as well though i initially hated it back then. looking back now it was fun, u get to see lots of different people.

as for guard duties i also encountered my fair share of people failing to turn up for guard duty and the poor fellow has to cover him. makes me release just how screwed up the system is. fake a MC and you are free. superiors don't even bother to do proper investigations. it is always the decent guy who picks up the handphone who suffer.

oh well. what gone is gone. congrats on your freedom, *Mr* Hirito. ^^;